Many chairmen around the world acknowledge that a well-managed board assessment process can lead to substantial improvements in board effectiveness, bringing significant benefits to the organization. They recognize the value in appointing a neutral intermediary with the experience, discretion and sensitivity to conduct a rigorous and extensive review of the functioning of the board.
- Our flexible board assessment methodology, refined over many years, is designed to address the governance model and specific circumstances of each board.
- We provide detailed and objective reports of our findings based on robust discussions with individual directors about board processes, structure and debate.
- Based on the insights we have gained from hundreds of assessments, our clients can benchmark themselves against national and international best practices.
- In Europe alone, we have conducted more than 150 board assessments over the past five years.
- We are sensitive to the concerns that some boards have when embarking upon an assessment for the first time and tailor our approach accordingly.
Our assessments typically cover:
- Board composition, roles and responsibilities
- Board culture, dynamics, teamwork and leadership
- Board processes, reporting and agendas
- Director development
- Organization of the board and committees
- Overall board effectiveness
- Quality of debate and strategic input
- Relationship between board and management
- Shareholder communication and accountability
- Succession planning processes