The Netherlands Board Index is a census of 50 mainly AEX and AMX companies listed on the Dutch segment of the NYSE EuroNext. It provides detailed information on the composition and structure of boards, committees, board tenure and directorships.
Download the PDF now >
In this 20th anniversary edition we look at how corporate governance practices have evolved in the Netherlands over the past two decades. In this edition we provide data on the boards of each of the 50 featured companies, identifying trends in Dutch governance practices. We include an international chart comparing data from leading companies across Europe and the US. We are grateful to Annet Aris, adjunct professor of strategy at INSEAD and experienced board member, who has contributed an article titled “Female representation on Dutch AEX/AMX boards: the road to 30%”.
Highlights of this year's Netherlands Board Index include:
- 96% of companies do not meet the 30% gender rule
- An estimated 41 new female directors need to be appointed to meet the 30% gender rule
- 36.9% of directors on the boards of the 50 companies are foreign
- 18% of boards have a risk committee
- Supervisory boards meet an average of 11.5 times per year
- The average tenure of CEOs is 7.5 years
- Average cash remuneration of non-executive directors is €77,000